My dad's childhood friend, Lee, invited my dad and I to go to Mexico with him and two other dentists on a humanitarian aid trip--my dad as the dentist and me as the dental assistant. We were there for four days and what an incredible experience it was!

We all saw between 90 to 100 people every day. My dad pulled teeth and gave fillings. I found out the effects the flouride in the water has on teeth and saw advanced periodontal disease for the first time in my life. I got to give a few shots in the mouth too!

Not only was the dentistry completely fascinating to me but so were the people. They were all so kind! People would randomly wave and smile to others--even if they didn't know each other! It was such a different experience from Provo... but maybe it's just because of the age group?? Anyway, I was talking to Gaile, our host, and she said that if her tire ever blew out she'd be hoping to be on the Mexico side of the boarder because they will always help and Americans won't. Years ago something happened to her car in the U.S. and she was on the side of the road with six or seven kids (I can't remember) and no one stopped to help her for 6 hours!! When someone finally did help, it was an illegal alien from Mexico. HA. Anyway, my point is that these Mexicans were some amazing people!


No comments:
Post a Comment